If you’ve been using the Internet for any length of time, you’ve probably received some unsavory and unsolicited e-mail. If you run a business, you may be worried about the security of your data and your customers’ privacy. At home, you want to protect your personal information from identity thieves and other shady characters. Firewalls For Dummies® will give you the lowdown on firewalls, then guide you through choosing, installing, and configuring one for your personal or bus iness network.
Firewalls For Dummies® helps you understand what firewalls are, how they operate on different types of networks, what they can and can’t do, and how to pick a good one (it’s easier than identifying that perfect melon in the supermarket.) You’ll find out about
- Developing security policies
- Establishing rules for simple protocols
- Detecting and responding to system intrusions
- Setting up firewalls for SOHO or personal use
- Creating demilitarized zones
- Using Windows or Linux as a firewall
- Configuring ZoneAlarm, BlackICE, and Norton personal firewalls
- Installing and using ISA server and FireWall-1
With the handy tips and hints this book provides, you’ll find that firewalls are nothing to fear – that is, unless you’re a cyber-crook! You’ll soon be able to keep your data safer, protect your family’s privacy, and probably sleep better, too.